This didn’t involve going down a hole in the ground and sending up coal – diamonds or gold —
These guys were known as The Submarine Miners – a group of worthies who were formed in 1888 under a Cpt. Ferguson —
From their base here at Broughty Castle – there job was to lay mines across the mouth of the River Tay between Brought Ferry and Tayport in the event of a seaborne attack from those countries with malicious intent towards our shores —
It looks pretty benign around here today —
much as it must have done when the Submarine Miners were around —
But – with one of the busiest ports of that era at Dundee just a few miles upriver – there was no point taking chances —
Unlike most seaside towns in the UK and even the City of Dundee itself next door – which is trying hard to pull itself up by its bootstraps – Brought Ferry is booming as an interesting shopping destination and proved to be a pleasant spot to spend an hour or three before check-in time at our Dundee city-centre hotel today.